Customers advised to observe electrical safety practices
The Manila Electric Company (Meralco) has assured its customers that its personnel are ready to respond to power outages that may result from Super Typhoon Mawar, which will be locally named Betty once it enters the Philippine Area of Responsibility.
“As a 24–hour service company, we are ready to respond to these types of emergency. Our crews are on standby to attend to any trouble that may affect our facilities in areas that may be hit by the typhoon,” Meralco Vice President and Head of Corporate Communications Joe R. Zaldarriaga said.
Zaldarriaga added that Meralco has put in place necessary measures to mitigate the possible impact of the super typhoon, including issuance of advisories on appropriate precautionary measures.
“Meralco has consistently requested billboard owners and operators to temporarily roll their billboards up to prevent these structures from being toppled by the strong winds,” Zaldarriaga said. Billboards that fall into electrical facilities are among the main reasons for power outages whenever there are strong winds.
Apart from these measures, Meralco also gave safety tips on using electrical devices and appliances in case of flooding.
• Ensure that the main electrical power switch or circuit breaker is off. Be sure to be dry when being in contact with any electrical facility.
• Unplug appliances from wall sockets. Turn off permanently connected equipment and unscrew all light bulbs if possible.
• Remove mud and dirt from service equipment or the main circuit breaker/fuse and its enclosure using rubber gloves and rubber-soled shoes.
• Ensure that electrical wires, connectors, and other wiring devices are completely dry.
• When all electrical wires and accessories have dried and are clean, ask a licensed electrician to check the wiring system. Do not turn on flood-damaged electrical appliances.
Zaldarriaga also urged the public to keep all channels of communication open and ready and charge mobile phones, laptops, radios, and other communication gadgets. Customers may tune in to the different public service radio stations should power interruptions occur.
To report power outages and other concerns, customers may reach Meralco through its official social media pages on Facebook (www.facebook.com/meralco) and Twitter (@meralco). They may also text their concerns to 0920-9716211 and 0917-5516211 or contact the Meralco Hotline at 16211 and 8631-1111.