By Alithea De Jesus
For a company that popularized Filipino culture and culinary expertise to the world, the 25 years amidst the challenges of the pandemic is worthy to be celebrated.
Twenty-five years and counting, Gerry’s continues to fulfill Filipinos’ cravings for comfort food through ups and downs, rain or shine, thick or thin. Its legendary food staples remain as centerpiece in the celebrations of life and success in every family or group.
Gerry’s invites you to come and celebrate as the restaurant chain marks its silver birthday through three initial promos. The restaurant awarded ₱2,500-worth of vouchers to each of the 25 winners who simply followed Gerry’s FB and IG pages or subscribed to its YouTube channel from September 19 to October 15, 2022. This Yuletide season, Gerry’s is offering your all-time favorite dishes in special party trays (good for eight to 10 people) through CATER-TO-GO. Lastly, HAPPY HOLIDEALS promo will offer Gerry’s Christmas combo sets. More in-store and online promos are lined up in the coming months.
The 25-year-old restaurant chain now serves you these 25 fun facts highlighting some of its milestones from the days Generation X marked it as their go-to gimik hangout to the days Generation Z shouts “Tara, G!” when they flock to enjoy a feast at Gerry’s.
- Gerry’s changed the local dining landscape when it opened its first location in Tomas Morato in Quezon City. In its 25th year, the historic branch is getting a make-over.
- As a homegrown Filipino restaurant, Gerry’s can now be found in almost every major dining and entertainment hub in Metro Manila and in some of the most frequented places across the country. It has also put up branches abroad—Singapore, the Middle East, and the U.S., which are areas where there are sizeable Filipino communities.
- Gerry’s now has 105 locations—95 in the Philippines and 10 abroad. Thus, it is bringing more Sizzling Sisig to the delight of more Filipinos wherever they may be.
- The restaurant is a namesake of its founder, Gerry Apolinario, who is known for his passion for cooking and love for grilled dishes.
- Gerry’s was originally a bar when it opened 25 years ago. It has evolved to be the top-of-mind family restaurant we know today.
- It was Valentine’s Day, February 14, when Gerry’s first opened its doors to customers in 1997. The 25th anniversary celebration kicked off in the third quarter of the year (through the video ‘Tara na sa Gerry’s’) to align with the re-opening of the economy.
- The blue marlin that is very distinct in Gerry’s logo represents the 25-year-old restaurant’s authentic Filipino seafood dish selection.
- “Gerry’s” is now the official brand name of the restaurant.
- The famous Gerry’s Sizzling Sisig preserves the original Kapampangan sisig recipe—it does not use mayonnaise.
- Gerry’s has sold over a million Sizzling Sisig throughout its 25-year history.
- Without any doubt, Sizzling Sisig is the bestseller in Gerry’s menu.
- Reality show big winner and K-pop group 2NE1 member Sandara Park is a huge fan of Gerry’s and its famous Sizzling Sisig.
- Founder Gerry Apolinario and his high school buddy Jerome Ngo, both then 29-year-old entrepreneurs, opened Gerry’s in 1997. High school friendship goals do wonders!
- Gerry’s opened its first provincial branch in Subic in 2002 and its first overseas branch in Union City, California in 2005.
- Founder Gerry Apolinario’s top pick from the menu is Gerry’s Fried Chicken paired with Gerry’s Iced Tea.
- Tagaytay branch is Gerry’s biggest location to date. The site is overlooking Taal volcano. On the other hand, the smallest Gerry’s branch is in Sierra Valley, located between Cainta and Taytay, Rizal.
- The famous Gerry’s Iced Tea is the restaurant’s most popular drink.
- Gerry’s Stuffed Laing has ground meat in taro leaves and cooked in rich coconut milk with chilies. The upgraded laing dish deserves more recognition.
- Miss International 2016 Kylie Versoza starred in a series of Gerry’s webisodes in 2018.
- Gerry’s signed TV personality, recording artist, and comedy genius Michael V, a.k.a. Bitoy as its first celebrity endorser in 2009.
- Stage and TV actor Leo Martinez was the first-ever celebrity that dined in Gerry’s in February 1997.
- Gerry’s also used to serve exotic dishes—among those were Sizzling Baboy Ramo, Tapang Usa, and Adobong Bayawak. This shows the restaurant’s expertise and versatility in dishing out cuisines that please the Filipino palate.
- Gerry’s Sizzling Sisig is best paired with Gerry’s Iced Tea. The restaurant-chain recommends this delightful combo.
- Gerry’s is as old as BTS’ Jung Kook, Kylie Jenner, Bella Poarch, and Julia Barretto.
- Gerry’s has updated its tagline from “You’d rather be at Gerry’s” into “You’d STILL rather be at Gerry’s” to assure loyal customers that its commitment to serve only the best food is here to stay.
Enjoy a feast at the nearest Gerry’s now. Also watch out for these soon-to-open locations:
- SM City Grand Central (5th Level)
- Alona Beach, Panglao, Bohol
- Viewfort Events Place, Carmona, Cavite
- R Square Mall, Taft Avenue, Manila
- Catarman, Northern Samar
- SM City Dasmarinas (Upper Ground Floor)
- Vigan City, Ilocos Sur
- Northstar Mall, Ilagan, Isabela
Follow Gerry’s on FB (@gerrysgrill.com.ph) and IG (@gerrysrestaurant) and subscribe to its YouTube channel (Gerry’s Restaurant & Bar) to get updates. Place your delivery orders via the hotline (02) 8332-1111 or online at www.gerrysdelivery.com.