NAIA back to normal operations, Tugade apologized for the experience

DOTr Secretary Arturo Tugade

At long last, after more than 24 hours stoppage, NAIA operations is back to normal!

The Manila International Airport Authorities (MIAA) has announced that runway 06/24 is now open for flight operations. This is after more than 24 hours of closure, after a Xiamen Air jet went off on runway of the Ninoy Aquino International Airport that caused cancellation, delay and diversion of so many flights.

Because of this, around 165 international and local flights were canceled on Friday and Saturday at the Philippine capital’s main airport after that trouble created by Chinese airlines. Even the netizens cannot expressed their anger and frustration because of the troubled it created. Some just decided to vent their ire in the social media by saying funny remarks such trained at the Chinese airline and pilot by saying, “Is this how made in China landed?”, “So you want Chinese to land in the Philippines and make trouble”, “Does the pilot know how to fly a plane?” and many more.

For his part, DOTr Chief Arturo Tugade expressed his sincere apology to the public and asked for understanding, “I am saddened by the inconveniences and consequences brought about by the incident involving Xiamen Air”.

Tugade explained further that Chinese plane landed at the time when it was raining hard. Because of the bumpy landing, the aircraft landed on its second attempt before skidding onto the grass, ripping off its left engine and blocking the runway of Ninoy Aquino International Airport late Thursday evening.

“It is a regrettable experience, which is not of our own liking, nor of our own making. I am sorry. We did our very best to address the situation,” the transportation chief said. But please bear in mind that it is inevitable to have a slow aircraft recovery and do not liken this with towing a car.

There were 157 passengers and eight crew aboard were able to disembark without suffering any major injuries. The plane was removed from the muddy spot where it had been stuck for more than a day, and it’s now on its normal operations.

Tudage added, “This incident served as an eye-opener — a reminder for us to take a second look at the processes, procedures and protocols of concerned agencies, as well as airlines, so that we may all improve in the future. Moving the plane was complicated by heavy rains that softened the ground, making it difficult to install the two cranes needed to lift the aircraft.”


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here